Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Long Time No Update


It has been a long time since I updated my Blog. Basically not much had changed that is until January of 2009. I was busy in the house putting away my holiday decorations when all of a sudden I felt extremely dizzy. So much so that I knew I had to lay down. The I started to see floaters and flashing lights. Something was terribly wrong. For a week I dealt with excruciating neck pain- I could barely lift my head. The dizziness persisted and I realized that I was experiencing double vision.

After several weeks of this misery I made an appointment with my General Practitioner. After describing my symptoms and the fact that symptoms were ongoing for at this point 3 weeks- he ordered an emergency brain MRI. I tried explaining to him that a Brain MRI wasn't going to show a whole heck of a lot for me. I need a cervical MRI. He wouldn't listen and off I went to a useless Brain MRI. Surprise, surprise the Brain MRI revealed nothing abnormal. I made appointments with a Nero Ophthalmologist and a Neurologist. Maybe one of them could give me some answers before I had to go all the way out to Iowa again.

The Neuro- Ophthalmologist did a very complete exam and concluded that I was experiencing Convergence Insufficiency. My eyes were just not tracking objects correctly hence the double vision. He recommended I get the cervical MRI because "something is definitely going on in there". The Neurologist said my symptoms sound like a migraine but since it has lasted for 30 days he is not sure what to make of it. Looks like Im going to Iowa.

I went out to Iowa in May 2009. I had my Cervical MRI this time he did a CINE MRI to make sure everything was flowing as needed. His conclusion the events in January was a "Vascular Incident" along the lines of a migraine that just happened to last for 30 days. I asked if it was normal for a migraine to last 30 days and he said "No, but your not normal". His recommendation is to take an 81mg low dose aspirin every day. Hopefully that will prevent another incident.

NOTE: I haven't been out to Iowa since 2006. I was supposed to go out in 2008 however Iowa City/Coralville experience a horrible flood. Everything was under water including the hotel I always stay at!I put off my visit for a year because everything was stable and then came January 2009....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home